Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Dwight Howard, please stop

The whole Dwight Howard in Orlando debacle has gotten way out of hand. If I have to hear about another one of Chris Broussard's "sources" on this issue I am going to shoot myself. No offense to Chris Broussard cause I actually enjoy his work, but that is complete offense at Dwight Howard.

Dwight Howard is undeniably one of the best players in the NBA. He is a perennial all-star, former defensive player of the year and one of the few superstars the game has. Howard has a likable personality and seems to be good guy, but this on going saga in Orlando is taking away from all that.

Howard has finally made it clear this week that he does not want to be in Orlando. This was big, it was like an alcoholic finally admitting he has a problem. Most of us knew Dwight wanted out, but when a guy signs an extension and gives vague answers all the time, how can you be sure?

So cool, Dwight wants out and the only team he'll go to is the Nets. Let's make it happen. Wrong. The Brooklyn Nets have made a series of questionable moves this week. First they signed Gerald Wallace to a 4-year $40 million deal. Hold up, it gets better. They then traded Jordan Farmar, Johan Petro, Anthony Morrow and Jordan Williams along with DeShawn Stevenson (via sign-and-trade) and a future first-round pick (lottery-protected in 2013 via Houston) to Atlanta in exchange for Joe Johnson . Yes, the Joe Johnson with 4 years and $89 million left on his contract. I respect the Nets front office for pulling out all the stops to ensure that D-Will comes back, but I'm pretty sure they fucked themselves in the Dwight Howard race.

Chris Broussard put out another story about the possibility of Brook Lopez, Kris Humphries and three first round picks being traded for Howard, but Orlando isn't having it.

So, where does this leave Dwight? Looks like Orlando to me. Every team is going to submit offers to the Orlando Magic in an effort to get Dwight Howard, but 98% of them will fail. Dwight Howard is one of the top three players in the league, which means unless you send LeBron or Kevin Durant for him, the value won't be equal.

If I'm Orlando I'm trading him for someone, anyone really. I would take Bynum. I would do the Nets deal with Lopez and Humpries. I would do anything that got him out of Orlando and still kept my team slightly competitive because at this point Howard is a cancer to the team. If he was you're teammate would you want to play with him? Basketball is a team game and I'm sure Dwight's teammates are no longer on his side. How could they be? This guy has done everything, but this.

From my outside point of view, I have no idea what is about to go down, but I hope it goes down soon because again I will shoot myself if Chris Broussard puts out another story he got from one of his sources.

No comments :

Post a Comment